Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Journey of Isaiah 12:2

"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid.  The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation."
-- Isaiah 12:2 (NIV)

I like how within two or three lines an entire journey is taken.  That's very much like our lives to God, is it not, but a mere breath?  As I read this verse to form it into a prayer, I wondered at the first line and the last line.  At first glance they say the same thing, but actually reading the verse, they are not the same.

The author of this verse begins with head knowledge but not heart knowledge:  "Surely God is my salvation."  He goes on to say that because of this head knowledge, "I will trust" (because I know God is my salvation); I will "not be afraid" (because I know God is my salvation).

Then his head knowledge expands going deeper to discover that Jehovah Majesty -- the One who created the heavens and earth and everything in them, who places each of the billion-trillion-zillion stars and planets and so forth in the sky -- who has the power to crush the author with just a word, a mere breath, this great God is on the author's side:  "The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense."

And by living with faith the head knowledge ("Surely God is my salvation") of who God is has become heart knowledge:  "he has become my salvation."

Beautiful.  All that long journey in but two or three lines.

Thank you, Father, for being true and faithful during all the times I had to struggle clinging to head knowledge.  Thank you for being my Good Shepherd, the Great Physician and King of kings: for your guidance, protection and provision; your healing; and your faithful sovereignty and leadership.  Because of who you are, I will trust and not be afraid.  Unfathomably, Jehovah, you are my strength and my defense.  Yes, you have become my salvation.  In Jesus' name, I pray amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment