Monday, December 10, 2012

Nana and Grandpa - Nov 26 2008

I miss my grandparents - Nana and Granpa. They're in San Diego right now. They took care of me while I was in college. They had lived in Roanoke my entire life, my one constant, until I was about 16 when they moved back to San Diego.

My grandpa was in the Navy, so they moved around a lot. He retired from the Navy in San Diego, but they rented out their house and moved to Roanoke with my mom who had just graduated high school. Uncle David stayed in San Diego and married Aunt Leslie.

My Nana is one of the best people in the whole world. She'd make friends with anyone and is always so gracious and courteous. Well, she's more cantankerous now that life has worn her down. My grandpa had a pretty bad stroke four or five years ago and she's been taking care of him. They have a hard time, but she's still one of the best people.

I was never that close to my grandpa. He is - was- very disciplined, set in his ways. Pretty quiet and to himself. But he always made sure everyone he loved was taken care of. He's not as disciplined anymore since the stroke. He knows what he wants to say, but he has a hard time saying it.

Sometimes my heart aches with missing them. I am glad to call them mine.

Hey, Thanksgiving is this week!!! Food fest!! I am thankful for my grandparents, Ben and Jerry's minis (for just $1!), my animals, a blanket fresh out of the dryer, Goonies, crisp autumn weather, a good cup of tea, Oscar Wilde, that it's okay to be silly, board games, holidays off from work......I hope you find many things to be thankful for! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment