Monday, December 10, 2012

On Courtesy - Nov 22 2008

I received a call from a client today -- I'd really love to tell you his name so you can watch out for him if you were to ever run into him, but it would be illegal for me to do so. He said he had paid a certain amount of money and received an a letter from his insurance stating it covered the same amount. I told him the statement went out before we received the insurance payment and asked if he'd prefer a refund or if he wanted his payment to count as a credit on his account. Well, he didn't want it to count as credit. So I said we would refund his payment to him and stated that the refunds for November were already done, he would receive it next month. He asked if we paid interest. I laughed and said, "No, we don't pay interest." I really thought he was kidding. Um, no. "You all would charge me interest." "No, sir, we don't charge interest." He didn't believe me. I told him I would send a request to refunds and assured him that we weren't messing him over. "Well, I believe you are." I responded, "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree."

First off, I was infuriated at his implication that I was lying. But then, I hated that he'd been so broken down by the rest of the world that he believes everyone is out to cheat him. The whole conversation has been bothering me all day. Why can't people believe the best in each other? I refuse to believe that I've been living in a bubble, believing that everyone is capable of something good, that people don't truly want to hurt each other unless they themselves have been hurt. I choose to believe that love still wins out. That love is the strongest power out there. I told him we weren't trying to pull a fast one on him, why would he assume we were?

I'm going to go watch Love,Actually: even with all the bad stuff going on in the world, "Love actually is all around us." Maybe it will help me feel better. Movies have a lovely power of washing over the soul sometimes when we're down.

No comments:

Post a Comment