Monday, December 10, 2012

On Writing Horror - Aug 12 2009

So I had this story idea (well, not really story, it's actually just a scene, a blurb) while in my morning shower. The bug part really happened, but since I'm typing this, obviously (or is it so obvious???) the last part did not happen.

A woman is in the shower. She spots a bug crawling between the plastic curtain on the inside and the cloth curtain on the outside. [Author's note: perhaps might have to be two clear/plastic curtains for the sake of the later visual.] She places her hands on either side of the double curtains and smacks her hands together, smashing, crumpling the tiny insect to death. She finishes her shower, but before she opens the curtain, someone or something smacks and smashes her between the shower wall and the curtain. Pull to the outside of the shower and we see her blood and guts -- in particularly large spots where her head and her middle were. [Hence the thought of making both curtains clear or maybe both cloth b/c how else could a blood spot and guts seep or show through?] Of course, there will have been some of her matter flung on the walls where we could see it over the curtain rod.

That really is disgusting. What made me think of that?...But, I think I could be really good at writing horror if I let myself go there. However, I don't know that I could. Not without going the way of Emily Dickinson or Sylvia Plath (i.e. crazy raving flippin lunatic). Or become like the murderer in Poe's "Tell-Tale Heart" and start ripping up the floorboards screaming "It was me! It was me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment